Brian Williams to take temporary leave from Nightly News broadcast

Brian Williams To Take Temporary Leave From Nightly News
Monica Schipper via Getty Images

Brian Williams is going to take a brief absence from the NBC Nightly News broadcast, he said in a press release Saturday. The move follows Williams' admission that he was not actually aboard a helicopter in Iraq that was shot down by enemy fire in 2003, as he had previously said.

In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions.

As Managing Editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue. Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us.


The network is conducting an internal investigation into Williams' reporting on his 2003 trip to Iraq, as well as his work during Hurricane Katrina.
Read the whole story

Follow HuffPost on Facebook and Twitter

Know something we don't?

Email us at breakingnews@huffingtonpost.com

770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003
 

Minibox 3 Column Blogger Template by James William at 2600 Degrees