Life & Style » Travel July 26, 2010 Bali - A place in time DEEPA ALEXANDER

FROM: http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/travel/article534678.ece


 
Where terraced fields swoop down on sandy beaches, and almond-eyed dancers enthrall in ancient temples

The lingering fragrance of frangipani…I wake up to it. The garland that greeted my arrival at Bali now adorns a deep rattan chair. My room at the plush Hotel Aston Kuta overlooks the Indian Ocean and the island's green landscape with its overwhelming Hindu aura and perpetual holiday vibe.

I head to the sea, and dig my feet into the warm sand to watch surfers ride the waves. Sarongs paint Kuta beach in all colours, and clouds skirt the edges of the water. Kuta, just around the bend from Ngurah Rai airport, is packed with pubs, posh restaurants, malls, hotels and money-changers. This is a part of Bali that resembles a music video.

FULL STORY